I am by no means a breakfast person. Growing up, breakfast was awesome. My dad made really great french toast, there was always a choice of cereals, and cinnamon sugar toast. But once high school hit, I stopped eating breakfast, and never really picked up the habit again. Its terrible, I know. Breakfast is suuuuuuuuper important. I just cant seam to get excited about breakfast foods, especially when half of the time eggs are the least appetizing thing my brain can think of. My husband is a huge proponent of breakfast though, and he has made me promise to make a conscious effort to eat more of it.
Normally, I will just toast an English muffin and put some apple butter on it, but as I was scrolling though my Facebook feed the other day, this video from Tasty came up, and it looked positively delicious. Its a creamed spinach and egg bread bowl. I had everything on hand sans the bread bowl and mozzarella, so I just used my trusty English muffin and some Colby jack cheese instead. It was really simple to make! The creamed spinach took a little time, I halved the recipe, and it still made a ton. The messiest part was trying to keep everything in the small crater that I cut out of the English muffin. It all worked out in the end, and it was absolutely delicious! I liked it so much, I went back and made a second one. Good thing I had all that extra creamed spinach!
In case the link above wont work, here’s the recipe. Again all credit goes to the people over at Buzzfeed/Tasty.
6 Tbsp. butter
1/4 diced onion
1/4 cup flour
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp black pepper
1 sourdough bread bowl
1 slice Mozzarella cheese
1. In a large pan, sauté spinach until cooked then place in a strainer to drain excess water.
2. Melt butter and cook onion until soft. Whisk in flour. Make sure there are no lumps. Add cream and milk, then stir until thickened.
3. Return spinach to mixture. Add salt, nutmeg and pepper, then stir until fully incorporated.
4. Hollow out a sourdough bowl, line the hole with mozzarella cheese, then spoon creamed spinach in. Spoon a dip in the middle, then crack an egg in the dip so it doesn’t fall out of the bowl.
5. Bake at 350˚F / 175˚C for 25 minutes, until the egg is set and the white has solidified.
6. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!